short film competition 2017
Show Us Your Shorts 2017
Thanks to all who submitted entries this year.
Our Award categories and prize money have changed in 2017.
We have 4 award prizes in 2017.
They are :
Golden Shorts (overall) $1000,
Best Senior Film $500,
Best Junior film $250,
Best local entry $250 (Yarra Ranges shire)
These awards will be presented on Sunday 18th June during the Warburton Film Festival and we hope that film makers submitting films will be able to attend the presentation.
A film which wins an Award in one category will not be considered for another category. For example, if a particular film wins the Golden Shorts Award, then it will not be considered for the Junior or local award.
Judging will be held in May after the close of entries. Judges decisions are final.
Merit certificates will be issued to those short films selected to be screened during the festival weekend. The films selected for a merit certificate will be screened during the Warburton Film Festival with the Award presentations made on Sunday during the festival.
Acknowledgement of receipt of entry will be provided for all other film submissions.
Show Us Your Shorts has been a youth initiative to encourage young film makers and over the last 10 years it has been successful in achieving this.
The past Golden Shorts winners and some of their film making web links
Senior technical excellence award in 2014 was for The Artifice made by Matthew Holmes who recently produced the feature film Ben Hall.
conditions of entry
The Show us your Shorts short film competition forms an important part of the annual Warburton Film Festival. Our aim is to showcase emerging filmmakers (both Australia wide and in the Yarra Ranges) and to encourage young people to pick up a camera and tell creative and original moving image stories.
Show Us Your Shorts is integrated into the Warburton Film Festival with selected short films screened during the weekend, and the winners announced on Sunday as part of the festival.
An entry fee of $10 is applicable to each participating filmmaker entry and must accompany the entry form(s) and film submission. Invoices can be arranged for EFTPOS payments. Money orders should be made out to the Yarra Ranges Film Society.
Download the SUYS 2017 entry form
Download the 2017 SUYS Conditions of entry
Prizes and Eligibility
Films will be considered for the following awards:
- Yarra Ranges Young Filmmaker Award (for Yarra Ranges residents, students or graduates,residing in the Yarra Ranges Shire) $250
- Most Outstanding Junior Film Award (excluding the Golden Shorts winner) (for graduates aged 18 or under, and for younger students currently attending secondary college) $250
- Most Outstanding Senior Film Award (excluding the Golden Shorts winner) (for students, graduates or independent filmmakers aged 19 years or over) $500
- The Golden Shorts Award for best film overall of the competition (no age restriction) $1000
- Awards will be decided at the discretion of the judges.
- Prizes totalling in excess of $2000 accompany the award certificates.
- Australian made short film entries accepted.
- Merit certificates issued to those short films selected to be screened during the festival weekend.
- Acknowledgement of receipt of entry for all other film submissions.
A short film finalist will be screened prior to each feature film throughout the Warburton Film Festival 2017 at the Arts Centre, Warburton. Awards will be presented on Sunday during the Warburton Film Festival. All participating filmmakers are invited to attend.
What to Include
- Your short film as a video file (eg. mp4, mov, mpg) on a USB drive or standard DVD, authored for screening
- If you are entering more than one film they must be provided on separate USB drives or DVDs each with a separate entry form
- Completed entry form(s)
- Entry fee of $10 per film entry
- 2 production stills: prints, PDFs or JPGs (if available)
Where to Send Your Entry
“Show Us Your Shorts” PO Box 110 Warburton, VIC 3799
- Films may have a running time of up to 15 minutes
- Films must have been made in 2015, 2016 or 2017
Opening and Closing Dates
Entries will be received from 9th December 2016 until the closing date of 13th May 2017.
Coordinator : “Show Us Your Shorts” PO Box 110 Warburton, VIC 3799 firstname.lastname@example.org ph 0400 126 011
Winning entries will be screened as part of the Warburton Film Festival commencing on Friday evening 16 June 2017 and concluding on Sunday 18 June 2017 and as part of the Yarra Ranges Film Society screening nights throughout the year.
Notice to all Secondary Schools and Colleges
Schools invitation to enter
Poster for 2017 Short Film Competition
SUYS 2017 poster