short film competition 2018
Show Us Your Shorts 2018
Thanks to all who submitted entries in 2017..
We have 4 award prizes in 2018.
They are :
Golden Shorts (overall) $1000,
Senior Film Award $500,
Junior Film Award $250,
Best Local Entry $250 (Yarra Ranges shire)
These awards will be presented during the Warburton Film Festival (15-17 June) and we hope that film makers submitting films will be able to attend the presentation.
A film which wins an Award in one category will not be considered for another category. For example, if a particular film wins the Golden Shorts Award, then it will not be considered for the Senior, Junior or local award.
Judging will be held in May after the close of entries. Judges decisions are final.
Merit certificates will be issued to those short films selected to be screened prior to feature films during the festival weekend with the award winners presented during a special session dedicated to short films.
Acknowledgement of receipt of entry will be provided for all other film submissions.
Show Us Your Shorts has been a youth initiative to encourage young film makers and over the last 10 years it has been successful in achieving this.
The past Golden Shorts winners and some of their film making web links
Senior technical excellence award in 2014 was for The Artifice made by Matthew Holmes who recently produced the feature film Ben Hall.
conditions of entry
The Show us your Shorts short film competition forms an important part of the annual Warburton Film Festival. Our aim is to showcase emerging filmmakers (both Australia wide and in the Yarra Ranges) and to encourage young people to pick up a camera and tell creative and original moving image stories.
Show Us Your Shorts is integrated into the Warburton Film Festival with selected short films screened prior to feature films during the weekend, and the winners announced at a dedicated session of the festival.
All entries must be submitted via the Filmfreeway website
Prizes and Eligibility
Films will be considered for the following awards:
- Yarra Ranges Young Filmmaker Award (for Yarra Ranges residents, students or graduates,residing in the Yarra Ranges Shire) $250
- Junior Film Award (excluding the Golden Shorts winner) (for graduates aged 18 or under, and for younger students currently attending secondary college) $250
- Senior Film Award (excluding the Golden Shorts winner) (for students, graduates or independent filmmakers aged 19 years or over) $500
- The Golden Shorts Award for best film overall in the competition (no age restriction) $1000
- Awards will be decided at the discretion of the judges..
- Australian made short film entries only accepted.
- Merit certificates issued to those short films selected to be screened during the festival weekend.
- Acknowledgement of receipt of entry for all other film submissions.
A short film finalist will be screened prior to each feature film throughout the Warburton Film Festival 2017 at the Arts Centre, Warburton. Award-winning entries will be announced and screened during a dedicated session at the Warburton Film Festival. All participating filmmakers are invited to attend.
Requirements for entries short-listed for screening
- Your short film as a video file (eg. DCP, mp4, mov) on a USB stick for screening
- If you are entering more than one film they must be provided on separate USB drives
- Entry fee of $10 per film entry (payable through Filmfreeway)
- 2 production stills: prints, PDFs or JPGs (if available)
Where to Send Your Entry
Upload to Filmfreeway
- Films may have a running time of up to 12 minutes
- Films must have been made in 2016, 2017 or 2018
Opening and Closing Dates
Entries will be received from 9th December 2017 until the closing date of 20th April 2018.
Coordinator : “Show Us Your Shorts” PO Box 110 Warburton, VIC 3799 or
Winning entries will be screened as part of the Warburton Film Festival commencing on Friday evening 15 June 2017 and concluding on Sunday 17 June 2017 and as part of the Yarra Ranges Film Society screening nights throughout the year.